Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 08:57:31 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans)

I still don't believe you.

Your power of 125VA won't put a hole in aluminum foil let alone a steel or
aluminum high pressure can.  Try it and see.  Certainly didn't put a hole in
my tin foil helmet in my pool shots at 10 times the power and I was happy to
have my head underneath that without fear of injury.

I find it a little interesting that you were close enough to see that the
"streamer" made contact with the seam of the can "and then the paint (which
burns hot) flies everywhere and can catch your garage on fire".  Did you
have any personal injury? Was your TC covered with burning paint.  After all
it was only 26 inches away. When I make statements, I back them up with
photographic evidence.  Do you still have your paint splashed TC?  What
colour were the 2 paints.  It must be starting to look quite technicolour by
now with the 2 colours plus black from the burning.

Having a "friend" who has had this happen "more often" is an untestable
statement.  If he caught his garage on fire 3 or more times then he either
is unable to learn from experience or is a liar.

When I get my big TC back I will run 20 times your power onto some cans.
This will be sure to cause an explosion, wouldn't you agree.  However, I am
quite sure I have no chance of breaking a weld.
BTW congratulations on the coil that way out-performs all others. Freau's
formula predicts 19 inches spark length and you got 26 inches.  I don't
believe that either.

Peter  http://tesladownunder.com