Re: vacuum tube construction. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:02:51 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: vacuum tube construction. (fwd)

At 08:17 PM 8/12/2007, Tesla list wrote:

> [...]

There used to be some sort of kit sold that allowed one to make your
own triodes.  The envelope was prefabricated, and you'd need a decent
high vacuum pump, and I suspect that they used some sort of getter to
pump out the last little bits.

Actually, the volume is small enough that a LN2 cooled sorption pump
would probably do the trick for the high vacuum, after roughing with
something else.

That would get you a functional triode, and I've seen pictures of
people who have built things like AM radios with them.

A power tube, though, that could do tens or hundreds of watts is not
a trivial matter.  There's a lot of "art" in the tube making business.

Check out "the BellJar" for more details.

Jim