Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 05:22:12 EDT
From: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Firehazards (Exploding paint cans) (fwd)

In a message dated 8/12/07 8:43:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>It's not a temperature of the streamer thing, it's a energy carried

>in the streamer, which would then be transferred to the can,  heating

>it up.  I would be somewhat suprised if a streamer carried  more than

>5% of the coil's input power to whatever it hits. Not only is there  a

>fair amount of input energy dissipated in the spark gap and the

>series resistance of the secondary, but there are probably many

>smaller streamers dissipating some power, and, of course, you have  to

>keep the streamer hitting the can hot enough to be ionized, which

>takes a fair amount of energy.
>

>That said, if  one had a small NST powered coil with, say, 450 W

>feeding it (the usual 15kV 30mA), and you got, say, 20 Watts into  the

>target, and the target was a low melting alloy solder, it might

>melt.  Think of using a soldering iron.  Pretty iffy,  though...

>you've got that big can sitting there as a heat sink.  Heating  the

>valve might be more productive as a means of destruction: low  thermal

>conductivity, low melting point.

[snip]

>An easier test... get a cheap soldering iron in the tens of watts

>range, rig up a jig to hold it in contact with the  can.

    All good thoughts, Jim, but still comparing apples  and oranges on *rate*
of energy transfer. A laser beam can deliver even less  energy than a 20 watt
soldering iron would, and still perforate metal. A 5  Joule pulse from a ruby
(etc.) laser would be capable, but that's a fourth of  the energy delivered
from the soldering iron in only one second. Energy transfer  efficiencies
aside, that can *is* a pretty big heatsink (as you have noted). You  guys who also
do laser stuff please correct me... Anybody have a conversion  factor between
Joules and "Gillettes"?
    This is Tesla coil topical, because I suspect the  energy density in a
streamer is pretty high, and we want to know if it's capable  of causing damage.
As an aside, a high-voltage transmission line cable can have  more energy
density than a laser beam (100 MW/cm^2 vs. 20 MW/cm^2). I  imagine natural
lightning has a pretty high energy density.
    We could be empirical WRT the question of streamers  burning metal. I'll
throw this observation out there: we usually don't burn  holes in the sheet
metal or foil that comprises our toroids! So unless the outer  end of a hot
streamer has a significantly different cross-sectional area, it's  gonna be
incapable of doing damage to a similarly-constructed target.
    I *have* seen pic on various sites of CW or  high-powered TC's burning
metal electrodes. IIRC, Peter Terrens' Youtube vid  showed sparks (of hot metal)
falling from his toroid. I imagine at the 10kVA+  level, the streamer can do
some real localized damage to low-melting-point  metals. We know they can burn
wood and plastic, and melt glass bulbs, so I'd say  long-term exposure of
metal to a streamer could burn it.

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities