Re: microwave oven transformer oscillation (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:39:26 -0700
From: huil888 <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: microwave oven transformer oscillation (fwd)

Nathan -

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Does anybody know why a mot does
not require oscillation for its operation"?

A MOT is just like any other iron-core transformer in that it requires an
alternating (or "oscillating") magnetic field to couple energy from the
primary to the secondary winding. The alternating magnetic field is obtained
when you power the MOT with an AC current.

So, to simplify things, a MOT absolutely DOES require an alternating or
oscillating input current to function.

Scott Hanson