Re: BEST Ballast for pole pig. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:12:33 +0000
From: Jack King <ekklekktikk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: BEST Ballast for pole pig. (fwd)

Greetings Tyler and all,

...All good advice on ballasts - and PLEASE follow Jim Mora's advice with
regards to safety - with 12-20 kv present, you become a sufficiently low
enough impedance for the amp or two of current at that voltage to vaporize
you!!!

ANYWAY,

...There's a better way to ballast your pig - a far better way (imho) - The
preferred device is a staple found in many neon sign production plants that
the neonist calls - rightly so a "choke" or slide choke. This device is a
simple variable inductor, with a large coil of wire - usually 3-4 layers of
#10 - #6 magnet wire  and a moveable core of iron laminations (about 2" - 4"
square and 15"-18" long). This is a brilliant way to both limit current -
and allow you to VARY it in a stepless fashion - the other methods (like the
spool of #12 or #10 wire leaves you no practical way to "adjust" current,
and the old buzzbox welder is "stepped" as the coin contacts are switched.

I have sold a number of these to various coilers with good results - They
sell for between $250 $500 depending on kva, etc, You can alos check with
local neon sign shops - and if you can speak with the "glassroom" see if
they have a spare bombarder choke.

Holler if I can help - I do have a few floating around at all times

Jack King 801-604-5136

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Ballast for pole pig. (fwd)
>Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 06:45:11 -0600 (MDT)

Now you can see trouble…before he arrives
http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_protection_0507