RE: BEST Ballast for pole pig. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:34:52 -0500
From: Rich & DJ <rdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: BEST Ballast for pole pig. (fwd)

I want to add the way I built an adjustable inductive ballast and kept it
cheap. You can use a spool of welding wire or electric fence wire, any
cheap or free carbon steel. Look at the roll of 10ga you are going to use,
the hole in the center of the plastic roll can be made bigger. Cut the
hole to its maximum dia. Cut a pieces of the carbon steel wire a little
longer than the length of the spool. Make a bundle that will just slide
into the plastic spool. I did wrap mine and soldered the wrap to make it
more solid, also add a 1/4-20 threaded rod in the center sticking up above
the wires, make a "U" shaped cover for the of spool out of ply wood or
whatever. Drill a hole in the top with the 1/4 rod sticking out, add a
wing nut. Now as the wire is moved in and out of the spool with the wing
nut you can change the inductance and the load.

Rich , from the middle of Missouri