Re: Exploding Maxwell caps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:27:31 -0500
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Exploding Maxwell caps (fwd)

Time for a quick review for the benefit of inexperienced coilers using
commercial pulse caps...

There really is no problem using Maxwell (or other major pulse capacitor
brands) as long as the caps are constructed using a polypropylene (PP)
dielectric system and as long as they are properly derated for TC use.
Commercial pulse caps need to be properly derated in order to handle the
actual voltages and degree of ringing seen within a TC primary. It is
true that most of Maxwell's pulse caps are rated for only 15-20% voltage
reversal (VR%), and a few may go up to 80% VR. As long as your pulse
caps are rated for higher duty (typically 500 PPS - meaning a PP
dielectric system), they should be usable in Tesla Coils when suitably
derated for voltage reversal. Newer self-healing capacitors (which use
metalized film instead of foil-film construction) cannot handle as much
tank current as film-foil caps due to the higher resistance of the
capacitor plates. However, this is not _usually_ a problem for well
designed Tesla Coils with higher inductance primaries.

The key to using commercial pulse caps is to remember that any rapid
voltage reversal creates a transient voltage stress across the
dielectric system equal to the total peak-to-peak transition. In other
words, a pulse cap that is initially charged to 20 kV and then rapidly
discharged into a high Q ringing circuit will "see" a voltage stress
equal to about 40 kV across the dielectric system. If the tank cap's
faceplate voltage reversal rating (i.e., Vdc * (1+VR%)) is significantly
less than 40 kV, the capacitor's life may be significantly reduced, or
it may immediately fail.

A spark gap type Tesla Coil primary circuit has relatively high Q
(typically in the range of 10-15). When the main gap fires, the tank cap
will see voltage reversal of 85-90%, so the peak-peak voltage change
during the first RF cycle will be about 180-190% of the cap's initial
voltage.

To maximize capacitor life, the voltage swing that's applied to the cap
should always be less than the capacitor's voltage reversal rating of
Vdc * (1 plus VR%). Although coilers often exceed this limit, they do so
at their own peril, since excessive voltage reversals cause partial
discharges to occur on surface of the PP film (along the edges of the
foil or metalized plates). These can progressively damage/track the
dielectric surface and degrade nearby dielectric fluid, and leading to
premature/catastrophic failure.

Let's plug in some numbers for a typical coil. Let's assume that we want
to use 15 kVRMS NST as our HV source. In theory, the peak voltage on the
cap will approach 1.414*15 kV, or about 21.2 kV. This assumes there are
no additional mains frequency resonant rise effects between the tank cap
and NST. If the gap fires near this peak, then the peak-to-peak RF
voltage swing across the tank cap will be about 21.2*1.9 or 40.2 kV. A
pulse cap rated for 35 kV and 15% voltage reversal is rated for a
peak-to-peak voltage swing of 35*1.15 or 40.2 kV. Initially, it looks
like a single cap would be OK to use (with no safety margin).

However, in practice the actual NST peak voltage is often significantly
higher, especially when the tank cap is sized to be mains resonant or
Smaller Than Resonant (STR), and if the main spark gap and safety gaps
are set too wide. Under these conditions, actual tank cap voltages can
be significantly higher than 21.2 kV - perhaps more like 24 - 30 kV,
with voltage reversals of perhaps 47.5 to 57 kV! Under these conditions,
a single Maxwell #37667 tank cap will fail quite quickly (if the NST
doesn't fail first!). Coilers who use groups of two of these caps in
series should have no problems running in 15 kVRMS systems.

In order to provide adequate margin, the tank cap's DC voltage rating
should be a _minimum_ of three times the RMS voltage of the HV
transformer. This provides a bit of a safety margin to allow for
somewhat higher peak tank circuit voltages, and provides fairly reliable
operation with most commercial pulse caps. However, with mains
resonant/STR NST's and ballasted distribution transformers, I'd
recommend using a factor of 4 times the RMS voltage for bulletproof
operation.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured