Re: Vacuum jar rotary spark gap / thyratron (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:18:14 +0000
From: Sparktron01@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Vacuum jar rotary spark gap / thyratron (fwd)

Gary

Not true.

Richard Hull in our early experiments used a 15kV vacuum bottle
out of some GE switchgear as a single point VSSG (vacuum
static spark gap).

It electrically worked fine (gap was in the 1-2mm range).  Problem
was the assembly got hot as a bit$$ because there was no way
to keep the assembly cool (you only have metal conduction
up power contacts to keep gap assemblies cool).  This thermal
problem occurred with power input in the <1kW input range
IIRC.  Eventually you would compromise the vacuum seals
then you would have basically a normal static gap with air
dielectric.  FWIW.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA