Re: Ganging Variacs (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:43:21 -0400
From: timjroche@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Ganging Variacs (fwd)

Adam, Terry, Bert, et al.,

?firstly Adam, I agree 1000%!! I, as do many I am sure, get my parts
surplus, I NEVER apply any power or voltage to a variac without what I
like to call a "50,000 mile tune up". I break it completely down as far as
I can, to the point of NOS status when I am done cleaning it.

????? Thusly, I understand y'alls points on using a different ballasting
option, and in many aspects of this hobby, passion, etc... to each there
own. I take great pride in being able to say that I have had and continue
to have the opportunity to learn first hand from the school that is
undisputedly the finest TC builders since Tesla himself. I am speaking of
coarse of Mr. William Wysock, Mr. Lowell Beezley, & Mr. Charles Strozier.
With that said, I find it very interesting that?many of you suggest, and
in turn you yourselves follow, an option that ties your hands behind your
backs; speaking of a non-immediate adjustable current control or phase
shifting device. it is without question an issue of most importance -
availability. to many, as in spun Al vs. homemade toploads, current
control variacs are simply not an option due to cost or availability, with
that said, using variacs in this manner not only shows that the 120BPS (@
60 cps) concept and only concerning ones self with the voltage waveform is
greatly over emphasized?but that it is not consistant with the nature of
how the tank circuit and thusly the entire system actually works.? ?????

????????Please understand that I am in no way personally attacking anyone
or am I saying that it will not work. That would be very close-minded and
down right wrong. However, there are many concepts and notions that
perpetuate for reasons beyond the scope of this discussion that may seem
logical, but simply aren't rooted in good, accurate science. I was?told by
the Dean, at that time, of the Dept. of Engineering at U of Illinois to
NEVER forget one thing about "electricity"; Electricity DOES NOT follow
the rules of logic, it follows the LAWS of Physics.

??????? I started this string by asking the simple question - is it
necessary to use a balancing choke on ganged variacs that are wired as
current limiting devices and not voltage control?