Re: Vacuum jar rotary spark gap / thyratron (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 15:34:45 -0700
From: Frank <fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Vacuum jar rotary spark gap / thyratron (fwd)

15 KV is not quite enough to produce X rays. Further, using X rays to
trigger a gap is a lot of extra equipment and safety considerations.

A simpler solution would be to use some radium watch hands in a tube
to ionize the gap. They used to use radioactive material in spark
gaps for radar transmitters and in some of the telephone switching
tubes to name a few.

Frank