Re: SISG Coil question... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:03:25 -0500
From: resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SISG Coil question... (fwd)

IGBTs like lower switching frequencies, especially below 75 kHz --- max most
are rated for, so keep the inductance large to keep the res frequency lower
which results in more energy transfer efficiency and reduces heating.

Also, as you increase the inductance (lowering the sec res freq) by
increasing the sec coil radius, the inductance goes much higher as it
depends on the SQUARE of the radius of the sec coilform, so larger is better
in most all cases.

Lower res freq for the IGBTs and more output voltage (better air ionization)
due to larger inductance.  Output Vsec = 75% x Vpri x SQR (Lsec / Lpri).
Keeping the sec inductance high is almost always better.

Small 1-3 kVA coils use 6, 8, 10 inch dia. coilforms which 3 kVA to 7 kVA
favor large dia sec coils, typically 12 to 24 inch diameter.  4 inch can be
used for small coils but you lose a lot of efficiency and stresses your
IGBTs to the breaking point.

Resonance Research Corp.
www.resonanceresearch.com