Re: tesla coil operation illustration (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:37:36 -0400
From: Scott Bogard <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: tesla coil operation illustration (fwd)

>Hi Scott,
>
>How does a change in frequency produce a voltage gain?
>
>How does the tank system step up the transformer's voltage?
>
>Matt D.

Matt D,
     Perhaps I should have been more specific, a change in frequency does
not step up the voltage, but people (like English and History professors)
understand this concept better than trying to explain how a true resonant
circuit works by capacitors and inductors shifting phase, and one charging
by current and the other by voltage, etc.  And no, the Tank system does not
step up the transformers voltage, but the resonance allows a potentially
much higher voltage to be generated in the spark gap than what the
transformers are capable of alone, so as far as the layperson is concerned,
the resonant system is making the transformers put out more.  This is not
correct, but without going into excruciating detail (that most people don't
actually care about or understand) you cannot easily explain it any other
way (they just don't get it!).  Thanks.
Scott Bogard

http://travel.msn.com/Articles/aboutfarecast.aspx&ocid=T001MSN25A07001