Re: water pipe RF ground. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:03:26 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: water pipe RF ground. (fwd)

At 06:52 AM 8/30/2007, you wrote:

> [...]

Bad idea.
a) why put HV RF on the water pipes inside the walls?
b) "as far as I know" is exactly the reason that cold water pipes are
not legal as a ground electrode in the electrical code any more.

Build yourself a counterpoise/ground screen. Place coil on top of it.
Connect "cold" end of secondary to screen with short wire.  Make sure
that anything you deliberately draw arcs to is connected to the screen also.

   Connect screen to "green wire" ground if you like

The idea is to keep the RF currents from the coil somewhere safe and
not conduct them hither and yon.  Imagine the topload of the TC as
one plate of a capacitor. The other plate is whatever you connect to
the bottom of the coil. If that's the water pipe, then RF current
flows from topload through wall to water pipe and so forth.  Bad news.

If you are operating a bigger coil on the ground, say in a garage or
driveway, the screen thing still works well.  It provides a low
impedance path to "earth" by virtue of the fairly large capacitance,
so if you do have strikes out to things in the vicinity, the RF
current can still get back to the coil via the ground.

Jim