Re: [TCML] mot questions

> I didn't realize that dimmers are solid state
> devices. If I can dig up an
> older one, were those simple rheostats, hence
> eliminating the choppy
> waveforms?
>
> Neal.

If the dimmer fits into a standard light switch box,
covered with a standard wallplate, and you bought it
at WalMart, Home Depot, etc., it is a solid state
(TRIAC device).  Cheap solid state dimmers have been
with us for what...30 years at least?  So even an
"older" dimmer still contains a TRIAC.  A standard
cheap dimmer from WalMart is rated at 600W.  By
comparison, a 600W rheostat is a huge beast...bigger
than a breadbox!  Just for grins, visit one of the
on-line electronics surplus sites or even e-bay and
search for "rheostat".  Units above 30W or so are big,
rare, and expensive.  They are also very lossy as they
are really just variable power resistors.  In a
practical power control circuit, they will drop the
line voltage considerably and also generate a lot of
pesky heat that must be disposed of somehow.  Let em
go--they are not worth the bother.

Greg