Re: [TCML] Large Plasma Tube

David N. Van Doren wrote:
Thanks Scott - Those globes on the link, what pressure are they being
run at.
Getting gas is not a problem. Designing and building the fixture isn't
a problem.
My only concerns are, can I do this with out vacuum and what kind of
power will be needed.

The voltage you need will depend upon the gas pressure, and the gas pressure you choose will depend upon A) the gases you choose (different gases ionize more easily than others, as other people have already pointed out) and the appearance of the streamers you desire. In my own experiments, I found that higher pressures tended to result in narrower, thread-like discharges, while higher pressures tend to result in fatter, more diffuse discharges. Frequency
also affects the appearance, any can also change the

You will probably find that you don't need very much current. That too will depend on pressure and voltage. Generally speaking, the higher the pressure and voltage, the more brightness you will get, up to the point where current starts to go down from too much gas. And as others have pointed out, some gases just seem to be brighter than others. There are many I have not experimented with, ever, because of the cost. Price a small lab bottle of Krypton - you'll
be shocked.

You have many factors to experiment with!

One caveat: if you intend to seal your tube after you have the "look" you want, you had best make sure the interior and all materials, electrodes, and so forth, are unbelievably, ATOMICALLY clean. ( I use that word just because it sounds impressive, not because it has any technical meaning). What I am getting at is that over time, even tiny contaminants (like a fingerprint you can't even see) can poison your gas mixture and screw up your electrodes. You WILL need a vacuum system capable of very high vacuums, and you will want to not only clean the interior with some very pure but pump-able solvent (like optical grade acetone or reagent grade isopropanol) but you will also want to bake your assembled system at the highest temperature it and your sealing materials can stand, while it is at a very high vacuum, for many hours, to remove contaminants that can be baked out. Only then should you back-fill with the gas mix at whatever partial pressures you have previously determined. This will ensure the longest life of your finished
plasma tube.

You will find that some gases are hideously expensive. You can save a lot of money (although it will dramatically limit the appearance of your discharge) by filling your tube with very clean glass beads. This is what is done with "crackle" tubes,
which don't actually crackle audible, but look like that ought to.

I suppose that if I need a power source other
than what I have I'll have to decide if
I want to buy/build such a thing. And vacuum scares me with such a
large GLASS tube. I don't particularly want to put an implosion gage
around it.

I have done inverse hoop stress calculations on tubes for vacuum before,
and I assure you that a .25 inch wall tube is more than sufficient to
hold a vacuum. Remember, a vacuum is only 15 PSI, and a cylinder is about
an order of magnitude stronger under compression from outside than it is
from pressure on its inside.

regards,
 - Bill "Gomez" Lemieux