Re: [TCML] Q

That has been the conclusion on the TCML for as long as I've been here.

Interestingly to me, Chris mentioned to me (see, aren't names nice!) that maybe primary losses are higher than we have assumed. We've typically given 50% or more losses in the gap. Given my latest calc's on primary Q and given that many of us have experienced warm primary's here and there, maybe some of the gap losses are in the primary itself.

Face it, it's very easy to conclude large gap losses, but if that's the case, shouldn't today's latest technology with solid state be incredibly efficient? Their not. Their good, but their not "that" good. I suspect they have large losses in the primary just like any TC and it's the primary which is limiting their advantage over spark gaps (hypothesis).

There was a time not so long ago when the top load capacitance was crudely looked at as it's selfC and lumped with SecC. Things didn't quite compute well and it wasn't long before top load percentages were being thrown at the circuit. Once we were able to compute the C and L affects along the secondary and elsewhere, we found "where" those changes were attributed and the method of using fudge factors was no longer necessary. I think as far as gap losses go, we still have some research to do.

Take care,
Bart

nnanred1@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
hi,
the problem is:  if you have the best cap, the proper tuning, the wiring plumed for minimum leakage inductance, no coupling of stray flux into conductive structures, the spiral strip winding in oil, a optimal top load, an extremely low resistance secondary, and the blood of the prophet runs in your veins, and you are a protector of the weak, and a defender of the faith; you will know the secret driving force that thwarts the perfect operation of the Tesla transformer and that is...  it has broken strong men... smart men... gifted men... men without gifts...  its...  the..  resistance of the spark gap switch.
by now,