Re: [TCML] DC resonant charging: has anyone tried SCR's in thisdesign?

Rob,

Chris,
You could google for surplus 6500V thrysistors made by ABB, sometimes
they are sold on ebay for $25 each.  I have two 6500V thrysistors in
series for total of 13kV that I plan to try out in the 20kV DC resonant
charging unit and see how it goes...  See
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/dcreschg.html about DC resonant charging,
but without SCR in design.

Rob

Yes richie's site has some good info as always on it. I already designed mine with all the values, in's and outs.. just a matter of finding the parts..

thanks for the suggestion, will have a look for them... was plugging some numbers and I think the current pulse can only be 1KA tops, maybe last for 500uS tops, normally SCR's can take the peak rating for 3,000uS, so maybe I do not need as large of current as I first thought. Even so the devices are only 1,400volts 200A RMS, 3,000A Pk, around $40 each, to get to 20Kv..... well thats a lot of SCR's!

Chris