Re: [TCML] De-potting NSTs? ? ?

Hi Matt,

Congrats on the coil. Getting it working is the first step (regardless of output). I personally would not recommend depotting unless the transformer has died. Then, you have a good motive.

I've depotted my 12/60 when it died. I removed 1/2 shunts and ended up with 10.6kv at 200mA. It was a good trade. Voltage lowered due to unwinding secondary turns. Current raised due to removal of shunts.

I used gasoline. I grew up with a mechanic for a pop so with 5 different cars in the drive way every week for 20 years, you learn how to clean parts with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth (without an explosion). But, this is not for everyone. Some use Karoseen and there are products for epoxy removal in the hardware stores which might work well.

But usually as with my link below, I had to heat up the tar and get the tranny out. "then" gasoline was used for cleaning (not for soaking the whole tranny into).

Here's a little digest of my first depotting experience with an NST (there have been a couple more since):
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/nstrepair/nstrepair.htm

Take care,
Bart

Matt Reid wrote:
Hi all!
Just curious if anyone can share some information with me? I am toying with the idea of 'de-potting' my 12/30 NST. I have heard that bathing the xfmr in solvents is a good way, but is it the best? Also, how far could I push it? I often hear of 100mA output. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Matt R. P.S. I ran my coil for the first time last night! Havn't tuned her yet, so only small sparks. Happy that it works, though! ! ! :)
What are you waiting for? Join Lavalife FREE
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30288&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Join_free_OCT07&_m=EXT_______________________________________________
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx