[TCML] Making the equivalent of a pole xfmr

[Clive: That could reasonably be expected to kill a person too. 'Man traps' are highly illegal in most civilised places.]

I picked up a book called "Theory, Construction and Design of Small Transformers" at a State Library book sale. It covers the design of transformers to about 10kVA.

Using parts / cores from defunct welders and a dozen pages of calculations, the design and construction of a tranny from scratch is not too hard really.

When I replace my camera, I'll post some pics of a few around the 5kVA mark for around 20kV output.

The Harry Transtrom book "Electricity at High Frequencies and Pressures" also gives a complete formula / guide to the construction of a similar transformer.

Being that I have 52 identical MOT's - I might reconstruct one larger transformer from the parts of a number of them. The 'E' cores separate at the weld quite easily to remove the coils. I built a few 1:1 isolation transformers (using the primaries only) this way.

PeteR