Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 10:49 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] De-potting NSTs? ? ?

Can a more common, more accessible (and less expensive) oil, such as mineral oil, be substituted? Actually, I may be jumping to conclusions re: the cost of legit xmfr oil. How do they compare in price, and is xmfr oil readily available "over the counter"? (I'm thinking about shipping costs) I'm located in the near-west Chicago 'burbs, so there may be someplace fairly close. Anybody have any ideas?

While we're on the topic of removing shunts, also, I'm assuming that the more shunts removed, the greater the stress placed on the secondary windings. So what's the possibility of putting 2 9kv nst's in series to get 18kv? Added stress to the windings will happen, but is it worse than removing shunts? I ask because 9kv units I have, I just kind of put them aside after I got the 15kv unit. If I remember correctly, aren't nst's center-tapped to the case? So if two are put in series and the cases are just allowed to "float" with no grounding, does that get around the center-tap issue?

Thanks all,

Neal.

Or, drop it in a tupperware tank full of xmfr oil so it gets better cooling and protection.

Dr. Resonance

- - -  snip - - -

I depotted a 9000 v 30 mil allison transformer, I put the whole thing on a cookie sheet and put it in my gas grill. i tried to keep the grill around 250-300 degrees. after about 10 minutes the tar started meltin, after about 30 you could pour it out of the tranny box. I have to caution this is very messy! after you get the inards out, (most people dont recomend) i used gasoline to clean the actual transformer. When you got it all cleaned it is easy to remove the shunts. You shouldnt go over 3x (i heard from someone down the line) the I rating, i went 330 ma out of a 30 ma, it worked for a lil while but not for long. If you up your amperage your gonna have to get a bigger tank cap though, use java tC to find out what your gonna have to do.