Re: [TCML] Another NST question

----- Original Message ----- From: "Neal Namowicz" <neal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2007 12:28 AM
Subject: [TCML] Another NST question

I thought I had read before that nst's shouldn't (couldn't?) be put in series to double their voltage, that it would be too much of a strain on the secondaries. But, we all know that there's some "wiggle room" in their construction, otherwise we couldn't get away with removing shunts and doubling the ma output. So assuming that one phases them correctly, is it possible to series two of them together? I was thinking 2 9kv/30ma's to give me about 18kv, slightly less if I don't drive it to 100%. I just chose that size because I have them already. Thanks everyone for your input on this.

Neal.

I have linked them in series, but not at that voltage. The problem is they tend to be center tapped to ground , IE, +5KV GND -5KV (10KV). If you connect them in series then they would flash over on the NST windings (no ground connected, I found that out that hard way).

The ones I had were only 4KV and no ground connection. I linked them in series and center taped to ground with no problem. Been like that for over 10 years and still working.

I am not sure if they make them without center taps, someone else may have come across them over the years though I have never seen any...

Most link MOT's in series and center tap to ground with no problem..

HTH
Chris