Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2007 4:08 PM
Subject: Re: Apology -- was:Re: [TCML] Q,,question

I think you and I are being overly sensitive here. I
didn't take your statement any way other than you
intended. I did mean it in a somewhat sarcastic
manner, though I also believe it to be a realistic -
though difficult - way to handle corona on thin
ribbon. I suspect most of us list members have fairly
thick skins, though we keep having new folks show up,
who may not have my sense of humor. I just wanted to
point out that while I consider my suggestion
ridiculous, I didn't mean it to be insulting. It would
be ridiculous for me to try to wind a pig, but Finn's
is truely a work of art. We all remember over eager
newbies who shoot for the impossible. It's probably OK
to tell them if the view doesn't warrant the climb.
However, we also have read about folks who have done
the impossible, so I try not to discourage the
impossible. Conventional wisdom says NEVER try to
drill holes and thread 50 feet of 1/4" tubing through
eight primary supports, but I ignored that and got a
decent looking primary:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/primary.htm

Adam

--- David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Adam, and all,

After reviewing my own words, I believe that I
personally owe Adam
an apology. The statement "being humorously
sarcastic" was a poor
choice of words on my part as it was certainly not
my intent to imply that Adam was trying to be rude or insulting,
only that he
was joking. A check of the dictionary reveals that
in most circum-
stances, the term "sarcasm" has a definite negative
conotation. Open mouth, insert foot, David ;^( I have met Adam and
consider him a
very good personal friend and would certainly never
intentionally try to paraphrase his statements in a malicious way. Again Adam, please accept my apology for putting you in the uncomfortable situation of having to explain the intent of your statement as
that was certainly
not my intention.

Sincerely,
David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yurtle Turtle" <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2007 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Q,,question

> While I was joking, I never meant it as an insult.
In
> fact, I WAS half-way serious about a possible way
> handle the edge corona. While it may seem like too
> much trouble for most of us, consider the
following:
> How many people would seriously consider
fabricating
> their own spun-aluminum toroids, winding their own
> "variacs", or even winding their own pigs? Yet
some of
> our very own list members have not only done the
> above, but have done so elegantly.
> > Adam > > --- johnbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote: > >> Could be he was. It was an idea that I thought
was
>> feasible.
>> I have several hundred lbs litz #3 stranded(Iknow
>> ,,can't be tapped)
>> Perhaps I will go with the 80% Litz,,20% strap.
I'm
>> looking for least
>> primary turns possible for a 16"D wound w/#14
magnet