Re: [TCML] Another MMC question.

In a message dated 12/11/07 4:01:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
teslatech@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello  all

I am looking back at information I based my first MMC on and com  pairing it
to new info I have gotten
from the list and I am confused. I'm  looking at this file mmc_cap_chart.pdf
on classictesla dot com
and  according to the chart I should be using 1 string of 8 CD 942C20P15K's
for a  12/60 nst to achieve
an LTR value.
I intend on building my new MMC  with 2 strings of 15 of the CD 942C20P15K
but wanted to confirm
first. Why  are the values in the chart so much different?

Thank you all for  your time and help.

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,

    A 12/60 NST has a peak voltage of ~17 kV. A  single string of 8 caps is
~19 nF but only rated 16 kV. Even with a  conservative spark gap setting, this
is pushing right to the edge! It should be  considered the absolute minimally
functional value and it will probably  experience early death. Your two
strings of 15 give you 20.0 nF, rated at  32 kV = much safer, better power handling
(longer life) = happier  coiler. Because of the way caps add, to double the
voltage safety margin, you  need ~4 times as many caps. To double the peak
current capability, you also need  ~4 times as many caps. (to keep the same total
capacitance)

Matt D.