RE: [TCML] MOT supply

Ben,

I have used unmodified MOTs for charging reactors with no problem.  I used 4
secondaries in series so I could run a rotary spark gap at slower speeds
without power-arcing.  Using one or two MOTs in series should also work fine
if you keep the break rate sufficiently high to prevent power arcs.  MOT
secondaries have inductances ranging from 6 to over 20 Henry.  You want as
much inductance as you can get.

I agree - you don't need a series resistor.  However, a few hundred ohms
won't hurt and might save your diodes if your charging reactor should happen
to flash over or otherwise get shorted.

If you are using DC resonant charging with a RSG, then you don't need any
primary ballasting.  The RSG break rate and power supply voltage determine
the power required from the MOT.

<SNIP>

You need to run a power reactor on the primary side of your
MOT to limit the max current draw to 15 Amps or less.

+++This is true only for AC powered coils, but not for DC ones.

For the charging choke, MOTs work well. You would probably
need two in series (using the secondaries), with the 'I' sections cut off.

+++ I don't agree.  If you cut off the "I" sections, the inductance will go
way down, which is not what you want.  I tried adding a little air gap to a
MOT charging reactor, and it didn't make much difference to delay core
saturation.  So I recommend using them "as is".

But you can do away with bulky MOT charging reactors completely and use a
small air core reactor if you add another set of stationary electrodes to
your RSG.  This allows you to alternately charge the MMC, disconnect the
power circuitry from the primary, then discharge the MMC into the primary at
any break rate you choose - no power arcing is possible and no ballasting is
needed.  This was discussed a lot here a month or so ago.

--Steve Y.