Re: [TCML] Form materials, losses, carbon tracking, sealing

On Dec 19, 2007, at 10:04 PM, Barton B. Anderson wrote:

Hi Bill,

I work for a steel company of sorts. We have our particular products we make, but we make every part (minus electrics). 4 serious laser cutters, CNC's, Punches, Brakes (and 4 plants worth of serious 16" thick steel capability). I realize the cost of something like a toroid. It's not easy. I personally would sell at a 70% margin if I were in that business and no less. For my 9" x 30" spun Al toroid, I paid around $300 (bulk buy) and I was happy to do so. I know cost of a one-off part.

I only posted my comment to point out to everyone how expensive it can be. I realize there are those who are very familiar with the costs.

When those bulk buys come along, try to have some cash set aside to take advantage of it. Best to prepare for it ahead of time if possible (hard to do for some, but try to throw 5 dollars a week towards it). By this time next year, you'll be ready for it.

Alas, that won't be me - on either end of the transaction. If I had $5 a week to spare, it would go toward my personal family problems, not hobbies. My hobbies are on hold indefinitely, that's why I'm selling parts I would have preferred to save for a rainy day. Well, it's raining here (figuratively speaking).

Every now and then, these bulk buy request come along. Best to have funds ready for it when it comes. Nice large toroids in particular are far a few between and quantity price breaks make them affordable.

Yes, but I already decided some time ago that the coil I'm building now is my last one. I don't even have the space to operate the one I'm building on the property I'm living on now. I will probably end up selling it if I am ever able to finish it. And I have many other projects I want to complete - a large VDG, a linac, the high vacuum system that goes with that, a second lab-scale railgun, and many others. I already have an un-welded 8x24 toroid which I may wind up selling because as I mentioned earlier, I need funds more than I need Tesla coil parts.

 - B(G)L