From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Barton B. Anderson
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 1:37 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] solenoid primary coupling, in house coil

Hi Jim,

I'm not in agreement with version 9.1 at all. That's really an old
version and couping is not good if your talking about the primary
"below" the secondary by 2.5". Things didn't get good in Javatc until
version 10 ;-) . Upgrade!

I'm interpreting the primary as a 16 turn helical with an 8" diameter
also has about an 8" height. The top of the primary would need to be at
3.3" above the bottom of the secondary winding for a k of 0.155.

I personally would recommend a coupling of 0.13 on this coil. Primary
placement then is the top of the primary 2.5" above the secondary bottom
turn.

I highly (HIGHLY) recommend updating Javatc to the latest version
available at:
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

It's not uncommon to run helical primary's low or even below the
secondary. But in your case, you need to be a little above the
secondary. To use all those turns you'll want to get the tank cap as
close as possible for resonance (but keep an eye on the caps resonant
value with the transformer as you should be above that value by about x1.5.

Doubt you'll be able to tune with the primary. Although there is more
Cext with the helical versus a flat primary, the change in k is large
with small changes in position. For minor tuning, you could use the top
terminal height above the secondary or simply use some off axis inductance.