Re: High Copper Cost - was: [TCML] Refurbished Coill

Hi Clive,

I wanted to point out that even though I see nothing wrong with Al primary's from a look at skin effect, resistance (AC and DC), etc., I have not tried it myself. So my ok with it is purely arm chair cowboy. I'll try it on the next coil I build for giggles and cost savings.

Something to keep in mind is that there is a 2 awg size difference between Al and Cu in general. So, 2 awg sizes larger of Al for equivalent conductance properties of copper.

Javatc offers the choice of Al or Cu for coils (if you want to look at electrical differences in a coil application). At least the latest version does.

Take care,
Bart

Barton B. Anderson wrote:
Hi Clive,

There was a little study performed not too long ago by Ed Phillips. Look up "FINAL REPORT Cu COIL vs Al COIL" in the archives for the info. I think they are acceptable in the primary. There is a difference in Q and resistance (but it's not much). Nothing wrong with Al primary's in my book.

Take care,
Bart