Re: [TCML] Suggestions for a mini-TC?

In a message dated 12/24/2007 2:58:59 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
goodman_jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>3)  With such a low voltage in the primary circuit, I'm thinking I'll
>have trouble building a reliable spark gap.  Would a  solid-state
>switch (IGBT or SCR) make more sense in this  circuit?

>4) This needs to be a desktop plug-in model, so I can't  exactly ground
>it using a stake in the earth.  Given its  smal size, will I be able to
>filter it enough to be able to hook  the secondary up to the mains
>ground  line?

Your design seems basically OK to me.  You may want to use
about 4kV for the transformer.  This will make it much easier
to get the gap to fire reliably.  The current should be  low.  Use
a current-limited type transformer.  There used to be a nice one  available.
Not sure if it's still available.  Gary Lau used such a transformer  for
his mini-coil contest.  Here's a link to Gary's mini-coil page.

  _http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/minicoil.htm_
(http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/minicoil.htm)

Usually such small coils can be connected to the regular power line
and don't cause problems if you have suitable filtering.  Folks  have
built such coils to be portable and mounted them into small cases,  etc.
One fellow had a secondary that folded down flat or was removable
for storage in the flat case.  Often the toroid can be removed with  a
small nut and stored in the case.

You could take the solid state approach which becomes somewhat
more complex however.

My website is at:  (I have no minicoils, but you may see something  useful).

  _http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html_
(http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html)

John