Re: [TCML] first light disaster

Ed Phillips wrote:
Yes, BUT.............. I've lost the original note but if I recall correctly Marko is using a 12 kV, 30 ma transformer which would have a leakage reactance of the order of 400 k. The reactance of the 0.188 ufd capacitor would be only about 14 k so can't see much of a resonant rise.

Ed
There is certainly no resonant rise. But the transformer will still attempt to charge the cap to 17kVp as controlled by the gap (and were talking about first light for the whole system, so there are unknowns everywhere). The charge time is long, but he is only at 60bps if I understand the gap correctly. If the gap didn't fire until somewhere near the NST output, he would have overcharged each cap in the string to over 2100 volts. The tap disconnect may have aggravated the situation. These are snubbers, so I doubt they have ability to withstand too much voltage stress.

One thing is certain, the mmc is not configured correctly. If it would have been configured in a single string of 24 caps, there would have likely been no problem even with the tap disconnected. The NST could then only throw 710V to each cap (which would be perfect as each cap is rated for 1500V).

Bart