Re: [TCML] How necessary is a Terry Filter

Hi  Guys

In building a new coil I am wanting to do it right and also hope to have it around for a long time. When I built my first coil I had no transformer protection other than a simple safety gap. Both of my transformers are still good even with out the filter. I was wondering if I really need this layer of protection? I run my coil with two 12/30 NST's and an RQ spark gap that contains 6 segments of 1in. copper couplers. Second part I am wondering about AC line protection? I see that some use an RF filter on the AC input. If anyone has any advice /parts list or completed Terry Filter I would also be interested in cost. I'm trying to work within a pretty tight budget at the moment so I would suppose that making the filter myself would be best but just thought I would ask.

As always thank you for your time and  guidance,

Vinnie"

	I'd like to add a slightly different question.  What additional protection does the filter add if the transformer is equipped with suitably-adjusted safety gaps?  Has anyone ever experienced an NST failure when it was so equipped?

Ed