Re: [TCML] Subject: current & fuses and toroid diameter, etc

In a message dated 12/30/2007 7:25:28 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
kc5gym@xxxxxxx writes:

>I am  only getting < 40' streamers instead of the supposed
>70'"o 80"  possible.  Is this due to an under-sized toriod?
>Or only 700   turn secondary instead of 1000+ ?

>Thanks  again,
>Marko

Marko,

Spark streamers will tend to reach out by about 3 to 3.5 times
the toroid diameter.  Possibly a little longer at higher  breakrates.
Spark streamers will tend to reach out by 10 or 11 times
the toroid minor diameter.  This is just a rough rule of thumb
that I use.  So it's mostly the toroid diameter that's limiting
your spark lengths.  Using 700 turns vs. 1000 + turns will
only reduce your spark lengths by maybe 10% or so.

John