RE: [TCML] Terry filters

Hi Bill:

There are two components to the power dissipated in the resistors of a Terry filter.  The actual power dissipated in the resistors is the sum of two things.

First is the P=I*I*R from the NST current through the resistors.  Note that the actual RMS NST secondary current can actually be MUCH higher than the faceplate current rating!

A less obvious component has to do with the fact that each time the gap discharges the main cap through the primary, it also discharges the caps in the Terry filter through the resistors in the Terry filter. Unlike the energy in the main cap, the energy in the TF caps is just wasted as heat in the resistors, and is BPS-dependant.  It's this that sets an upper limit on how large a cap we want to use in the TF.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA