Re: Help required - ignition coil Tesla

Hi Ed,

What circuit are you using to drive your Accel Super coil? I have an Accel
Super 50KV CDI coil. Maybe we can compare notes.

Thanks,
Jim Mora"

Driving it from 12 V using an HV NPN power transistor in turn driven by a 555 timer and buffer - nothing special at all - pulse width adjustable "for maximum good" and pulse rate for allowable battery current; transistor doesn't get very warm. I may even have changed the transistor to an IXYS IGBT but think that is another driver. I'll have to figure out what coil I'm using - got it at a Hot Rod shop and it's not a CDI type. If I called it an Exel that's because I was working with an Excel spread sheet at the time - it's an Accel for sure. I haven't touched the coil or driver in several years and would have to try to dig up the schematic (too lazy to trace it).
Ed