Re: 25 kV PT

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Most center-tapped transformers, such as x-ray and neon sign transformers, are wound with the sec coil turns in opposite directions. This enables one sec coil to hit a peak on the positive 1/2 cycle while the opposite winding hits a peak on the negative 1/2 cycle while the two windings are on the same core. This produces a bushing to bushing potential of double the value of each winding.

If he uses two similar xmfrs with both coils wound in the same direction both xmfrs will hit a peak of 25 kV at the same time while they are at 0 potential on the opposite 1/2 cycle swing. With AC he will only see 25 kV to ground and will not see the 50 kV peak to peak he is trying to obtain.

Maybe I missed something here but I don't think this will work as he is planning to use them to develop 50 kV peak to peak between the outputs.

If he had two coils wound in opposite directions and tried to operate them in epoxy there is a very high proabability they would fail. Operation above 25 kV produces high corona content and all xmfrs that I know use oil instead of epoxy for these high voltages.

Tesla's transformer were oil insulated. You can use oil insulation with HV transformers to operate as high as 1,000 kV (megavolt) outputs. Allis-Chalmers manufactured some of these large monsters in Milwaukee, WI. They were used at Sandia and Los Alamos Nat'l Labs for some specialized testing.

Dr. Resonance

Why is that if it's center tapped and +/- 25kV? Granted the primary tank wiring better be well thought out due to corona and all. Tesla used 50kV transformers at times
Mike

We won't tell. Get more on <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49980/*http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265>shows you hate to love (and love to hate): <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49980/*http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265>Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures list.