Re: static spark gaps

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi James,
I have used some one inch diameter silver contacts from some huge contactor/relay thingy. They work fine. I don't even think I have ever cleaned them yet, although I would before using them again probably. Both tungsten and tungsten carbide have been used by people on this list. I personally use tungsten because I have it....lol I've used the silver gaps for as much as 1800W and had good results, so I wouldn't worry too much there.
Mike

poster: "James Howells" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

May I join this thread?:
Many people have mentioned Tungsten electrodes .... are these
tungsten or tungsten carbide ?

If  as suggested below a flat surface is best: what is the general
opinion on using two silver faced contact breaker studs ( salvaged
from a fork lift truck) as the static gap ( low power = ignition coil
job- no pigs!)

They are brass , 1/2 dia. and have very thick silver plates* as the
faces .* plates not platED.

Will the silver be good ... because of the conductivity , or bad
because it's easily oxidised & eroded

Cheap Talk? <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman8/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com>Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.