Re: 25 kV PT

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

Coments below:

> Original poster: "resonance"
> <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Most center-tapped transformers, such as x-ray and
> neon sign
> transformers, are wound with the sec coil turns in
> opposite
> directions.  This enables one sec coil to hit a peak
> on the positive
> 1/2 cycle while the opposite winding hits a peak on
> the negative 1/2
> cycle while the two windings are on the same core.
> This produces a
> bushing to bushing potential of double the value of
> each winding.
>
> If he uses two similar xmfrs with both coils wound
> in the same
> direction both xmfrs will hit a peak of 25 kV at the
> same time while
> they are at 0 potential on the opposite 1/2 cycle
> swing.  With AC he
> will only see 25 kV to ground and will not see the
> 50 kV peak to peak
> he is trying to obtain.

My thoughts are to ground H1 (if that's the closest to
the core) then phase X1 and X2 to accomplish the
above. I don't see how this would place any greater
stress on a single PT than simply grounding one
bushing would on a single PT. I probably just need to
ground H1 and monitor current as I slowly ramp up the
input voltage.

> Maybe I missed something here but I don't think this
> will work as he
> is planning to use them to develop 50 kV peak to
> peak between the outputs.
>
> If he had two coils wound in opposite directions and
> tried to operate
> them in epoxy there is a very high proabability they
> would
> fail.  Operation above 25 kV produces high corona
> content and all
> xmfrs that I know use oil instead of epoxy for these
> high voltages.

If both PT's have one bushing grounded, how will any
PT ever see more than 25 kV above ground?

> Tesla's transformer were oil insulated.  You can use
> oil insulation
> with HV transformers to operate as high as 1,000 kV
> (megavolt)
> outputs. Allis-Chalmers manufactured some of these
> large monsters in
> Milwaukee, WI. They were used at Sandia and Los
> Alamos Nat'l Labs for
> some specialized testing.
>
> Dr. Resonance
>

> >Why is that if it's center tapped and +/- 25kV?
> Granted the primary
> >tank wiring better be well thought out due to
> corona and all. Tesla
> >used 50kV transformers at times
> >Mike
> >

> >We won't tell. Get more on