Re: Newcomer

Hi Jim,

If you do go the route of "bottle caps", you may want to check out Mason Jars sold at grocery stores. Includes a screw on metal lid that aids the construction. The basics are to mix a salt water solution and poor into the bottle cap. The lid should have an electrode that penetrates down into the solution (a carriage bolt is often used) and this bolt also allows for an electrical connection (with a mason jar lid, a large carriage bolt can be used for the electrode and a smaller screw used for bottle to bottle connection). Add about 1/2" to 1" of mineral oil (it will float at the top of the salt water solution). Use aluminum foil to wrap the outer bottle with (keep about 1" below the lid). I like to use a smooth 5/8" socket head to smooth the aluminum foil to the bottle (reduce corona points).

The aluminum foil serves as one plate. The saltwater serves as the second plate. The bottle is the dielectric between the two plates. This is a basic capacitor. Now, line the inside of a bucket with aluminum foil, drill a hole in the side of the bucket and fasten a screw which protrudes out the side of the bucket. Next, place several of your bottle caps inside the bucket. This connects the bottle foil to the bucket foil and everyone of those bottle foil plates are electrically connected to the screw at the side of the bucket. Finally, connect bottle lids with a wire (bottle to bottle). You'll then have all the bottles in the bucket in parallel with one another. The capacitance of each bottle adds when placed in parallel. You can then add or remove bottle caps to adjust to the capacitance desired. The output of the cap is then simple one wire coming from the lids and the other from the screw at the side of the bucket.

I do have a bottle cap java thing which you might play with if you decide to go this route. Check out the "Help" link for definitions of inputs. Very simple calcs. Although it doesn't show mason jar bottles, it shows the basic idea.

http://www.classictesla.com/java/bottlecap/bottlecap.html

Now, with all that said, I highly recommend MMC's for real performance. Bottle caps can be very lossy (lot's of corona). But for a nostalgia thing, bottle caps are still fun to build (and they work, not always great, but they work). Got one in the garage right now. I don't use it, but I've got it. (grin).

BTW, one thing with bottle caps is to keep corona at a minimum if possible. Corona is simple "power lost" not getting to the coil. Sharp edges enhance the mechanisms which cause corona. Try to keep everything as "smooth" as possible.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Jim <branley1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like cheap solutions for someone cheap like myself. I like the "beer bottles with salt water in white poly bucket." What is the science behind this?