Re: About wireless energy transfer

Original poster: westland <westland@xxxxxx>

Well, you may be right that Soljacic's work may not be all that original, but less because of what Tesla may have done then the fact that people are currently using the evanescent coupling effect in optical devices. Soljacic has borrowed and adapted the math from optics and put it into the context of wireless energy transmission, showing how it competes with other transmission techniques, and where it might be appropriate. It seems to me like OK work. Indeed, Nicola Tesla may have investigated the same phenomenon, but he didn't have all of the mathematical tools that are available today for modeling the effect (e.g., modeling in terms of 'tunneling' which wouldn't have even been considered before the Schrödinger equation in the 20's .... and I don't believe that Tesla was ever favorably inclined towards either relativity or quantum mechanics). Without the math, evanscent coupling would never really get into modern consumer products, which is Soljacic's ultimate goal.

Chris"

The only problem is that Soljacic's work doesn't involve evanescent modes at all and all of the principles he discusses have been known and used for nearly a century - Tesla's work wasn't even the first but his large-scale experiments were. Soljacic wrote a paper but didn't contribute anything but obfuscation and his work won't advance the use of [inefficient] wireless energy transmission one little bit. There is absolutely nothing in that paper of any use to a practical engineer which isn't already contained in familiar reference works and handbooks. Where it's useful it's already in use! By the way, the use of REAL evanescent mode EM wave coupling for microwave devices goes back to the late 1930's so nothing new there. I don't know about optics because that's not my field but suspect a study of Rayleigh's works of the late 1800's might even turn up something on the subject.

Ed