Re: Variac Wiring

Yes Matt,

You've got it correct for what you described. #3 will be the output which you can adjust from zero to full voltage. So, wire the output (the load) from neutral (#2) to the variable output (#3). Often, variacs will have several more terminals. Your variac sounds nice and easy with just three terminals.

Check the output from #3 to #2 measuring the voltage prior to hooking it up to a load. Vary the dial and you should see the output vary as expected. Once you've verified the voltage vary's from zero to full voltage, then go ahead and hook it up to the transformer.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Slurp812 <slurp812@xxxxxxxxx>

Yes, I believe thats correct. To be super proper, make sure neutral
goes to #2, and hot goes to 4.

Original poster: "Matt T." <p2sarethebomb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I recently bought a new variac to power my 15kv 30ma NST.  I have
never wired one before and do not want to fry this one.  It is a
Technipower 120v-8.5A 60 HZ (W5L) .  It has 3 terminals listed as 2,
3, and 4.  There is a diagram showing 2 at the biginng of the coil
and 3 bing the center tap with 4 the other end of the coil. Am i
correct to connect the input to 2 and 4, and the output to 2 and
3?   Seems simple, but i don't want to fry this considering how
pricey they are now a days.

Any help is greatly appreciated

-Matt

<http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2743??PS=47575>Laugh, share and connect