Re: About wireless energy transfer

At 04:01 PM 2/7/2007, you wrote:

Original poster: westland <westland@xxxxxx>

A couple of wikipedia articles at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evanescent_wave_coupling
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evanescent_wave "

Not clear to me that there are any real "waves" involved in coupling via mutual inductance or capacitance. Evanescent wave sounds great but.........

Ed

If the wavelength is very long compared to the distance, then the wave coupling reduces to the conventional mutual L or capacitive coupling.. (that is, you can ignore the propagation speed of the wave from source to sink, and consider it as a quasi static system)..{coincidentally, a coworker who's teaching a fields and waves class was discussing this the other day}

But, you're right.. evanescent sounds much cooler...

Especially if you can represent a macro phenomenon that everyone knows about (electromagnetics) using a more obscure notation with a less obvious model (quantum tunneling)... I'm surprised he didn't talk about using photons for energy transfer.

And, of course, as others have noted..
"The team is now trying to develop a prototype device. "