Re: tungsten anyone?

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 2/9/07 10:37:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Thoriated rods are better because of their increased electrical properties.
>Hopefully the ones you are getting have that in them.

    What exactly is the benefit of Thorium in the tungsten rods?
I understand the radioactive Thorium, by ionizing radiation, decreases the breakdown voltage and therefore facilitates TIG welding. But does it measurably decrease the resistance of the arc channel? If it does, wouldn't that be generally detrimental to good quenching? Couldn't one achieve the same effect by letting a cheaper gap electrode material overheat?

-Phil LaBudde