RE: 18" sparks at 2KVA

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

Cameron,

> Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince"
> <cplists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi Brett,
>
> Glad to hear about the success with your VTTC. The
> photos and video clips
> are very impressive, especially for a first run.

Thank you.  I did not expect to achieve those 18+
roaring sparks on the first day the doubler was
installed.  I have hundreds of megs of video footage
and .jpg's.  I am lucky I didn't fry my digital
camera.
My main influences for this project were John Freau,
Steve Ward, and yourself, and it looks like I am
pretty close, if not equal to what Steve was getting
at this point in his project.  Oh, and I am planning
on purchasing an 833C he has for sale.

> If you like the non-staccato mode, I would recommend
> the 833C. It can
> basically run non-staccato in a VTTC all day long
> and not even show a hint
> of plate glow. I recently picked up one on eBay and
> began playing with it.
> It's significantly more robust than the 833A.

Well, I should say I have never ran staccato, so I
really don't know if I would like it better or not.  I
have only seen it on little compressed medium quality
web videos, which don't do any high voltage footage
justice.  I *need* staccato to run more sensitive
tubes at a lower pulse rate...I will probably change
my mind once I've actually used it.

> I finally got my staccato board repaired earlier
> this week. That and the
> replacement MOT's (one of mine was toasted due to
> primary shorting to
> chassis) have my v8 coil back up and running. I hope
> to get everything tuned
> back in and start seeing those 3' arcs again soon.

The ones you have coaxed to reach up for that skinny
clip lead wire are surely some of the most amazing
vttc arcs I have ever seen captured on "film".

> I also borrowed a 7,200V PT from David Rieben with
> plans to build another,
> larger VTTC. I hope to try to compare a VTTC driven
> by a doubler with a
> non-doubled supply.

I thought of that too.  Two big MOTs in series vs a
comparable sized MOT with doubler installed.  Some
pictures on your site suggested you tried that
already...I thought I saw a pic where you had two MOTs
in series?

> I also want to see what an 833A
> will really take
> voltage-wise in a VTTC as I may try a doubler on the
> PT as well.

That should be informative and entertaning.

> Keep us posted on your progress.
>
> Thanks,
> Cameron

I will, and by the way, I am happy I went with your
idea of an extra long primary/feedback former....Some
configurations are much happier with the feedback coil
slid all the way up to the top.  I have found two
sweet spots on that, but one draws about 5 amps less
from the wall, so I tend to use it.

Later!

-Brett