Re: tungsten anyone? (Thoriated vs straight tungsten)

Original poster: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

In vacuum tubes, the addition of 1.5% Thorium to the
tungsten cathode can increase electron emission by
1000 times.

Welding electrodes with 1-3% Thorium added will strike
and maintain an arc more easily than pure Tungsten,
and the arc is also more stable.

Apparently, Thorium greatly increases electron
emission and current carrying capacity of hot
Tungsten. I'm only guessing, but perhaps a Thoriated
Tungsten TC spark gap would have a lower arc
resistance as compared to a pure Tungsten spark gap?
In a real-world, hobby-type TC system, it's hard to
believe it would matter that much.

Greg

<http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail>Find

the<http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/?fr=oni_on_mail>Yahoo!
> >  > Search movie showtime shortcut.
> >  >
> >  >
> >--
> >    Joe Smith
> >    proffessor@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> >--
> >http://www.fastmail.fm - Access all of your
> messages and folders
> >                            wherever you are

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time