Metallic salts on vttc breakout point...

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

All,

Adding metallic salt compounds to the breakout point
works *much* better on a vttc than it did on my medium
sized disruptive coils.  Last night I added some salt
to the top of a large paper clip and placed it atop
the toroid of the 813 vttc.

http://www.hot-streamer.com/brett/vttc/NaCl_813_1.jpeg
http://www.hot-streamer.com/brett/vttc/NaCl_813_2.jpeg
http://www.hot-streamer.com/brett/vttc/NaCl_813_3.jpeg
http://www.hot-streamer.com/brett/vttc/NaCl_813_4.jpeg

...It looks much more beautiful in person...I think
the digital camera doesn't quite have the bpp (color
depth) it needs to capture the gorgeous contrast
between the sodium spectrum and the purple streamer
tips.  The rich yellows end up getting washed out to a
paler yellow-white.  Nevertheless, you can see what I
mean with the sodium effects.  A more realistic
picture of this can be found on Steve Ward's miniSSTC
page, down at the bottom.

The nice thing about experimenting with the 813 vttc
(as opposed to the 833A) at 60 pps (no staccato), is
that I can run at about 95 volts on the variac and
pull 4 inch hot arcs with a grounded screwdriver on a
stick for 3 minutes straight.  After this kind of
abuse, the 813 plate is still jet black.  It will only
start to redden if I turn the voltage up past 130 and
leave it for over a minute or so.  From what I hear,
this is pretty decent performance for 60 pps.  To make
the really long sparks I still have to plug the 833A
back in, but for efficiency, having the 813 in the
system seems superior.

-Brett

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.