From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 2:35 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: DC resonant charging

At 02:46 PM 2/11/2007, Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: "Jim Mora" <jmora@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Herwig,
>
>I was able to charge a cap bank to 20Kv using a capacitive discharge
circuit
>into a fullwave diode from a standard car 12volt coil. Accel makes a
>discharge racing coil that is

>rated 50KV

I think "rated" or, more properly "advertised" is the operative word here...

>  at 1 amp but I was unable to get it
>to work well. Perhaps you could look into HEI setups?

50kV at 1 A is 50 kVA.. that's a pretty big transformer.

I might go for 1 Joule of stored energy in a racing coil (that's 5
times as much as might be stored in a regular HEI coil, typically
100-200 mJ and maybe a bit more).

The key would be to find out what the turns ratio on the "50kV" coil
is... if it's 100:1 like the usual coil, that implies 500V into the
primary, which isn't too extreme.

However, I'll bet that it's one of those specsmanship sort of
numbers...  50kV is really high, and would never be particularly
useful in a engine application.

Jim