Re: [PHISH] Re: Tungsten,2% Thoriated or Pure?

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jeff,

One place where thoriated tungsten would have great application would be safety gaps. The ionization would help the gap to fire better. I use 2% on my Terry filter gap. The gap is set around 3/8" for a 12/120 coil, and usualy trips once on startup or if the main gap is out of sync a little. That gap will definitely fire if overvoltage occurs.

David E Weiss

Original poster: "Teslacoil Workshop" <workshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Bingo!!! You got it 100% right... Radioactivity doesn't help in a TC
application and we are ablating too much tungsten dust compared to welding
to make cross comparisons about the relative safety of adding alpha emitters
to tungsten.

Jeff