Re: [PHISH] RE: Tungsten,2% Thoriated or Pure?

Hi Bill, all,

I think just the thought of something being "radioactive"
kind of scares most people. At first, I was apprehensive
about the thorium, too, and I still use pure tungsten in my
gaps, since that's what I already have. Also, it would seem
that quenching may be a bit harder with thoriated tungsten.
But I did get to thinking about the professional welders that
are exposed to thoriated rods much more than any of us hobby
level coilers and it would seem to me with rational thinking
that the miniscule radioactivity released from thoriated
tungsten rods would not even amount to the "background"
radiation that everyone that calls planet earth home is exposed
to every day.

And as far as global warming is concerned, I'm sure that
explains why our loal climatic temperatures have ran consistantly
15 to 20 degrees F BELOW seasonal average for the past month!
Yep, it's been unusually and bitterly cold here in Memphis since
mid-January. No 12 ft. of snow like upstate New York, but still
very winter-like temperatures. 20*F this AM. I am SOO ready for
spring!!

Cabin Fevered Coiler,
David Rieben