OPEN-CIRCUIT NST LIFE

For a couple of years I used half of a 9 kV 60 ma Franceformer NST connected to wire running around the yard on 6" high PVC pipe as "skunk and possum zapper". 100% effective. Reason for the note is the recent series of comments about the short life of NST's run without load. That's counter to experimence here. For the record this particular transformer was open circuited in this application and ran outdoors in the weather, rain or shine, 12 hours/day for over 2 years. Worked fine at the beginning and works fine now. Because of the capacitance of the wire the terminal voltage was slightly higher than the terminal voltage.

I don't know the design insulation levels which suppliers use but I've seen other NST's used to power precipitators and they sure ran open circuited for many years in those applications.

Ed