RE: primary coil stand off construction question.

Original poster: "Dave Halliday" <dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Lexan is good but expensive.
I have used the polyethylene cutting boards and although they are opaque
white, they look pretty good.  Check local restaurant supply stores for good
deals. They tend to "grab" the cutting bit so be very careful when machining
them with a router.

A drill press is one of the key tools to get -- Homier sells them for as
cheap as $40.  Do not expect this unit to last for any more than a year or
so but it will get you started and all of your tooling can get moved over to
the next drill press you buy...

http://tinyurl.com/2pkvqw

They can also take sanding drums and polishing wheels which are great for
getting a good finish on lexan and polycarbonate.

Finally, if you are near a large city, check your local vocational colleges
-- most of them have some kind of practical shop classes and are hungry for
"real world" projects for their students to do.  Offer to bring a Tesla Coil
in for a demonstration and you will get them to bend over backwards for
you...  I have been taking machining classes and we get lots of small
projects in from various companies that don't have machining facilities of
their own.

Good luck!
Dave