Re: [PHISH] RE: Tungsten,2% Thoriated or Pure?

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

And also recognize that everyone has a different risk acceptance
posture and that it evolves with time and situation.  What I thought
was perfectly ok when I was an indestructible 20 year old is a tad
different in my forties with two kids.
<big snip>

I guess my seemingly cavalier attitude towards this thread has been taken wrong. I would never advocate carelessness in any aspect of coiling. If a person decides do grind/cut or whatever thoriated tungsten electrodes, by all means wear at minimun a dust mask. Simple logic....inhaling an alpha emitting isotope of any element is definitely bad(breathing tungsten dust will irritate your lungs too). Earlier I was attempting to point out 'relative' danger of various radioactive materials, but common sense still dictates that you take measures to avoild inhalation of any radioatctive materials. It might be noted at the same time that the chemical toxicity of uranium is worse than the radoactivity of it....but that's beside the point. I will certainly applause Jeff Parise's stance that one needs to err on the side of caution when dealing with lawyers etc. He knows his game and plays it well. As Jim points out, fear is in the eye of the beholder. I worked for years in a research lab and thought I'd share two incidents that are nearly totally contradictory. As you all know, kerosene is a fine fuel for heating and even is used in diesel engines in winter months. We had a project at this research lab that involved the use of kerosene as a solvent. The engineer in charge was talking to me at the beginning of it and was thinking that smoking should be banned in the building due to the flammability of kerosene. Seems reasonable, I know. He was a mining engineer...and really had not looked into this. Most people don't realize that the reason kerosene is used as a heating fuel is because it is actually not that easy to ignite. It has to be heated failry hot before it burns easily. Again....I'm not advocating smoking around a barrel of the stuff....but it's really not that dangerous. I put a fair amount into a beacker and took this engineer outside into the parking lot.....just in case.....I lit a cigarette and tossed it into the beaker....it went out. He was stupified......I repeated the exeriment a few time just to make sure lol. Kerosene has a really low vapor pressure at room temperature.....diesel engines operate on the basis the the super high compression heats up the fuel air mix to a point where it will ignite spontaneously....but a room temperature...diesel and kerosene are not that easy to light. That's why kerosene heaters are popular in rural areas.... On the other hand, if the project managers had read the MSDS or even mention to me what they had designed, I could have saved that company serious embarrassment and loss of a mulit million dollar contract. The geniuses in charge of the project decided to use pure ethylene glycol as a heat transfer fluid...about 1000 gallons of it for this process they set up. Funniest thing is that the guy in charge was the president of the company and a chemical engineer..... Sure the boiling point of ethylene glycol is well above 100ºC.....that is all they looked at....DOH!!! They did not consider that it has a flash point down around 60ºC.....They burned down a brand new building and lost the biggest contract the company ever had.....I don't even know if the insurance covered it. When I showed up for work that morning and saw the mess, my first question was: What mixture with water were you using? When they told me the were using pure ethylene glycol.....I laughed my ass off. Anyone with any organic chemistry background knows that ethylene glycol is just one functional group different from ethyl alcohol and will burn great. One lil spark from a relay and POOF up in smoke..... ....It's all about common sense....whether dealing with chemicals....high voltage....compressed air even(that can be seriously powerful in a bad way)...... I didn't mean to seem to downplay the use of reason and common sense earlier....It pays to learn as much as you can with whatever you are dealing with before you start...
Mike

Be a PS3 game guru.
Get your game face on with <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49936/*http://videogames.yahoo.com>the latest PS3 news and previews at Yahoo! Games.